Skip to main content

Rider Fitness. The Burning Question.

Like most riders of a certain age for me the question of fit and fitness in the saddle poses a significant obstacle to progress in my riding.

Yes I have my excuses. A surgery nearly ten years ago that wrecked my hormone balance. But you have to take care of the yourself don't you. Actually, on reflection the surgery I underwent was possibly not the best option. Unfortunately my doctor did not relay to me the hormone impacts that would result from a fairly minor procedure. Not a major event in the grand scale. Though at the time I was very stressed. Certainly nothing compared to what others have suffered and continue to suffer. Net result was a massive weight gain, an incremental advance in all you don't want reflecting back at you in the mirror. In fact, you wonder where you've gone. Inside you feel the same. Outside you are completely different. And yes, people treat you differently. That's your own fault though isn't it. You should diet, exercise and get on it.

Also like many women of a certain age. I don't overeat. I do admit to indulging in alcohol ( and who doesn't love a glass of bubbly or a cool lager on a hot day ), and for that I must take responsibility. But despite working out, the weight stays. It bumps in double time at the sitting trot despite the best 'plaster down the girls' bras and underwear on the market for the sports athlete. I love watching Dawn French in the Vicar of Dibley ( BBC America), she has the right attitude. Embracing the 'babs'. And to think when I was a 34 inch bust at 14 I yearned for bigger boobs. What was I thinking.

I thank the gods for F.I.T.S. riding breeches. They are so comfortable. They have the abdominal support to help my 'three children later' tummy and the seat never chafes and the deerskin hold to the saddle is perfect. The deerskin patches don't stay stuck to the saddle like the old Pikeur full seats I used to use - they move with me and allow me to move lightly in the saddle. I can even FIT my boots on without stress thanks to their clever inside leg netting on the bottom of the breech. Thank you Sheryl Rudolph at Fun in the Saddle. Wholeheartedly. And please keep the zip fronts coming as well as your pull on variety. There are other equestrian apparel options and tack options to help us ladies out. Schleese and their wonderful lady friendly anatomically designed saddle trees. Though I love my old Kieffer Weis. The stirrup bar position fits my somewhat shorter than average legs beautifully. But lo, the seat is now becoming too small for my derriere. I must search out another model.

So here I am today. Fighting the great weight question like everyone else. Struggling to summon the motivation to hit the elliptical trainer. I find it easier to go ride or walk than to stay stationary working out in relentless circles on the ET machine or walks on the treadmill indoors no matter what the weather. Making excuses? Truly my ankle is sore following a nasty sprain year ago, an injury the doctor said would have been better off as a clean break. In the E.R. I asked him would I be able to dance at my son's wedding in three weeks time. He answered drily, " I don't know. Could you dance before? " I love smart doctors. Then of course there is the arthritis from too many years of falling off horses, endless sitting trot in the dressage ring ( for some reason all those repetitive circles don't bother me at all),  and miles of riding horses on the road as a kid, to ensure my horses were fit for the season.

Every day I am busy wearing the many hats that each of us wear to keep ourselves afloat and to assuage our interest in so many areas of life. That involves serious time behind the computer screen too. Sitting is not good for anything, unless you are on the back of the Grand Prix horse that is.

I am very fortunate to have a very supportive husband who understands how quickly I can tire in a lesson, who doesn't mind that I don't 'lug' as much equipment about at shows as I used to do and accepts that I no longer mount my horses from the floor and prefer a three step block to a two step block ( well, I am only 5' 4" and my main horse is a 16.3 hh lad). I am also blessed that my main rides are a couple of horses that have the softest backs with great top lines and muscle development. They don't have a hard back and can easily take my weight. Thankfully once you gain an independent seat you don't lose it. So my horses do not suffer from the 'hand'. Hubbie also helps me keep my main horse fit ( see photo below), and we both enjoy sharing the schooling on horses we own.



But what should we ladies do to improve ourselves. I look to the DVD market. Jane Fonda helped me after my twins and my first born - I wonder where my discipline has gone. I worked daily. Happily. Following Jane through everything. Without effort it seemed and I managed to regain my original 129 lbs. Well - I have not given up. As most of us head through the doors of 2012 we make pledges to others and to ourselves. Here is a photo of me riding a Russian warmblood while training in Florida.  Not at 129 lbs but not too bad. I want to make small steps ( as this horse is doing as I try to coax this very hot potato into some passage), and this weight goal is very achievable.





I am spending time reviewing all the new options. Suzanne von Dietze has kindly brought to new DVDs to market to help me. I need all the help 'balancing in the movement' I can get. Then there is the iconic Eckart Meyners with his great advice. All good help to be had to encourage me through this stage of life. I have found Suzanne's Back to Back book very helpful.

When visiting Boston and the Stuart Theater about six years ago I was fortunate to tag into a showing of the play Menopause. Four women, explaining how they could not lose weight, no matter what. And all the rest. It was an exceptionally funny show.  While you may not be going through menopause or may have surpassed that time, one thing all us women know. Losing weight is hard. But we will do it. Because we know we ask our horse(s) to be fit and want to do the best for him. We don't want to be a burden or have to buy plus sizes. We know who we are inside and see ourselves with the same eyes as when we were younger. Even if everyone else doesn't.

If you are blessed with being thin then please remember not to judge. As Gwyneth Paltrow found out when she took herself out on 5th Ave to her favorite designer stores disguised in her 'fat' suit from the movie, life is harder when you are overweight. And not just because of how people see you, but because of how you feel about yourself and how the weight prevents you from being all you can be.

Hang in there. Don't pound on yourself if you miss a day of exercise or binge. Just start over the next day. You can do it. Seek out a supportive trainer. Utilize NLP and positive training methods. Learn how to breathe. Seek out supportive positive minded friends and educate yourself with DVDs and books so you can improve your understanding of the bio-mechanics. It makes it much easier to sit well on a horse.

Make sure your riding equipment and apparel is comfortable, functional, fits well and most importantly, makes you feel good.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dressage Bit Contact: The Dreaded Break at the 3rd Vertebrae and How to Resolve it

Schooling challenges: Inheriting a horse that has been trained incorrectly and breaks at the 3rd vertebrae - It is much easier to work a horse correctly from the beginning than to have to 'fix' an issue later on as we all know. Our latest equine protegee, this lovely stallion - has received minimal training and but has shown at Training Level in Canada ~ however somewhere along the line he was ridden incorrectly and allowed to hide behind the vertical. Though he scored well the judges comments noted inconsistent contact. As he does not have an excessively long neck this is an interesting achievement. How to resolve it? We'll begin by working him a little in front or above the bit, sending him forward and setting a good rhythm from the get go. Then we'll encourage him to take the reins and stretch over his back and out down in front, without putting his head too low i.e. not below the knee - he must learn to take the contact and to take his part of it consistently. T

Flying Changes Problems Answered

The fun to do, fun to train, dressage flying change is truly like dancing with your horse. Unfortunately all too often issues arise during training that make them less than perfect. Major issues which are very common include swinging of the hindquarters ( which will cause lots of issues with tempi changes so be warned), changes that are late behind, swishing tails during the change, changes that are not forward, where the croup is high and the horse shows stiffness behind. In the latter event the horse will cover very little ground as he is not 'flying' through the change. Other issues that occur in training are running off after the change, bucking, coming above the bridle and the riders hand. Do not despair! There is some discussion as to which leg should push hardest during the change and to whether there should be a lightening of the seat during the movement. From my experience and training, lightening the seat is to be avoided. Stay straight, do not collapse a hip and

The Grand Prix Dressage Test ~ All Chopped Up With No Place To Show

The new shortened version of the Grand Prix dressage test will be showcased at Olympia, London, UK, this December. The new test has not been well received in the dressage community and there are many good reasons why.   Are You All In With The New Test? ( Photo: Brittany Fraser and All In) The FEI seems to have gone for a shorter test, thinking this means more spectator interest which is ridiculous as the reduction of the test by 2 minutes per test will not mean more viewers. What it will do is to reward the horses at the very top of the sport already, that have crowned their talents with excellent 3 'p's movements.  The new test offers lots of activity early in on the test which means no time to allow the horse and rider to settle into the test. While much of it feels more like an Intermediate test than a Grand Prix, the missing elements such as the zig zags would have Wolfgang Niggli turning in his grave. The rein back also missing will have many clas